9:30 am- 3:30 pm
$85 Regular Tuition
$75 Member Tuition
Learn the secrets of creating luminous color and mixing rich darks and colorful grays. We will create texture and interest with watercolor pencils and crayons. Whether you are an experienced artist or beginning your watercolor journey, this fun, interactive class will include several demos and give you confidence in color mixing and painting techniques!
Level: Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
This class will be held in the WAS-H classroom at 1601 W. Alabama St. Houston, TX 77006
Recommended colors for class are:
Daniel Smith - Extra Fine Watercolors (tube paint)
- Hansa Yellow light or medium
- Quinacridone Rose
- Pyrrol Scarlet or Quinacridone Red
- Phthalo Blue (GS-Green Shade)
- French Ultramarine Blue
- New Gamboge (optional)
You can purchase a set of Daniel Smith paints with all the colors you need. The set is called “The Watercolor Essentials Set of 6 paint colors”. Available at the local art supply or from Amazon.
If you already have good quality paints, such as Winsor Newton, or Holbein, make sure you have a “cool and a warm” red, and a true yellow, and blues that are like those listed above.
Additional Colors you will need for the “Luminous Grays” exercise is:
- Cobalt Blue, Burnt Sienna, Sap Green, Violet (purple) and Yellow Ochre and White Gouache Paint for opaque application. If you do not already have these colors, I will have them in class.
- 4 or 5 sheets of 9” x 12” watercolor paper, 140 lb., cold press paper (Arches)
- Standard watercolor brushes and a small flat wc brush
- Standard WC supplies
- Notebook or watercolor paper to record color mixing combinations.
- Watercolor Pencils (small set of basic colors)