By Karen Stopnicki, WAS-H President
Dear WAS-H Friends,
It’s now September which brings promise of a reprieve of hotter temperatures and more gatherings as summer travels close. Halloween decorations are already in stores, as is everything pumpkin spice. Best of all, we have a lot going on at WAS-H beginning this month!
If you are planning to enter the September Gallery Exhibit, the theme is “Blue” and registration closes at 3pm on September 7th. Click HERE to see the prospectus.
On Sunday, September 11th beginning at 2pm WAS-H will host our first Fall General Meeting, Demo, and Awards Presentation for the September Gallery Exhibit. Following a short meeting of announcements, well-known artist and past WAS-H President, Linda Vanek, will present “Painting on Yupo.” If you have ever tried to paint on Yupo or just want to see how this unique surface works, then this is a “not-to-be-missed” demo. This is going to be a great opportunity to be back at WAS-H, see a fabulous demo and a beautiful exhibit. Put it on your calendar, and plan to bring a friend!
If you have been thinking of taking a class, whether to learn a new technique, refine your skills or enjoy class time with fellow artists, check out our updated Education Calendar, (https://watercolorhouston.org/Classes-and-Workshops). A number of new classes have been added. Members get priority registration through September 7th, so sign up before all the classes are filled!
Check out these upcoming key events:
- The Annual Members Exhibit (AME) opens for registration on September 13th. The Awards Reception will be on October 2nd. You can see the full schedule and prospectus here https://watercolorhouston.org/AME.
- The Ryan Fox major workshop on Monday, October 3rd thru Thursday October 6th has a few spots open for enrollment https://watercolorhouston.org/event-4849188.
- The Art Fair is planned for Saturday October 8th. It is a great opportunity to sell your work, meet the community and enjoy being with fellow WAS-H members on a nice October Saturday. See more HERE (https://watercolorhouston.org/ArtFair)
- Senior group, an ongoing gathering for people 55+, is back with artist facilitators beginning in September. See here for more detail, and to register for a spot in a specific week https://watercolorhouston.org/Outreach-for-Seniors.
- Paint-Ins are back in session! The September Paint-In with Irene Sheytman is already at waitlist status. Stay tuned for the remaining Fall Paint-Ins to be posted.
Our August Gallery Exhibition, “Skies,” is a beautiful show still on display for a few more days. I want to thank Cissy Geigerman and Katie Steck, our Gallery Co-Directors for their hard work in presenting lovely shows this summer, and planning exciting shows for the Fall. We couldn’t have shows, classes and other events if it weren’t for our volunteers. We have lots of opportunities to get involved. Keep us in mind if you have a little bit of time and interest to help.
I hope to see you at WAS-H soon - we have so much to offer, please stop by!
Karen Houston Stopnicki